Permanent - 40 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction. Our team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people do everything we can to keep the zoo going; from feeding the animals, as well as the customers, to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
Following an extensive refurbishment of our original Grade 2 Victorian property – The Oakfield – we are re-opening it as a high-quality gastro pub and events venue this summer.
We are looking for an experienced and talented Sous Chef to join us now, before we open, to help develop menus, set up the food side of the business and help build and train a kitchen team ready for the launch. You will report to the Executive Head Chef, and manage The Oakfield Back of House team, ensuring the day to day preparation and production of great food, and delivery of a seamless service to the Front of House.
If you’ve got the ingredients of fresh innovative ideas trending in gastro pub food, are top of your game and up to joining an award-winning team then we want to hear from you!
* Manage the day to day running of The Oakfield kitchen, deputise for the Executive Head Chef in their absence and act as the first point of contact for the Back of House team.
* Train and mentor a Chef team, to ensure they can train and mentor other kitchen staff, thus ensuring an effective and efficient work practice and delivery of an end customer service.
* Work collaboratively with the Front of House team to ensure seamless delivery and a world class customer service.
* Devise and deliver on-trend gastro pub and event menus ahead of competition.
* Produce food for customers of The Oakfield bar, restaurant and events to the highest standards in order to maximise profit and deliver a world class experience.
* Adhere to, and ensure team members adhere to, policies, standard operating procedures and safe working practices including food safety systems, and ensure that The Oakfield kitchen and team are clean and well presented at all times.
* Follow health and hygiene policies and associated legislation completing all associated paperwork on shift in an accurate and timely manner. Carry out spot check audits and provide training where required.
* Ensure the team are trained to correctly stock on a day to day basis, are able to place orders in a timely fashion, accept deliveries, ensuring they are correct and rotate stock as required. Ensure the Executive Head Chef has notification of changing menus and new order requirements.
The successful candidate will have:
* Demonstrable chef experience in a high-volume business, preferably a leading British Gastro Pub
* An excellent understanding of current gastro and event food & trends
* Experience of leading a chef team
* Excellent customer service skills
* Stock handling experience
* Level 3 Food Safety preferable
* Good COSHH understanding and workplace application
* Good HACCP understanding and workplace application
* Good communication and coaching skills
* A flexible attitude to work
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, 5 days out of 7 on a rota basis including weekends and bank holidays. As guests primarily visit during the day, this is when you will spend most of your time here, but some evening working will also be required when we are holding private events and functions when the Zoo is closed to the general public.
The salary for this position is £25,424.73 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including a defined contribution pension scheme, Medicash Healthcare and free admittance tickets - full details can be found on the Chester Zoo careers page.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this Sous Chef role.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 22 April 2018.
Interviews will be held week commencing 30 April 2018.
This Sous Chef vacancy is advertised by JVP Jobs on behalf of the employer Chester Zoo. Please note that JVP is an advertising company NOT a recruitment agency, therefore all applications will be reviewed directly by the employer Chester Zoo, and should they wish to progress your application further, they will be in contact with you